K Michael Russell (videos) - Tons of photoshop colouring tutorials including flatting, layering , brush customization and more
Representing Emotion with Colour (video) - Strip Panel Naked
Coloring Guide (picture) - Bleeding Cool
Understanding Color (video) - Blender Guru
How to Color Inked Line Art in Photoshop - WebpageFX
Colours are the first thing anyone notices when they look at a page. They’re also very easy to get wrong.
Just like drawing, I’m NOT going to teach you how to colour. What I WILL do, is show you the tools and techniques you can use to maximize what you can get from your colours.
Hue vs Saturation vs Luminosity (video) - Bruce Gabrielle
COLORIST ON COLOR: THE INTRODUCTION - Marissa Louise
Hue: The actual colour itself. Going from red to blue is a change in hue.
Saturation: How much gray is in the colour. The higher the saturation, the more “pure” and intense the colour. A saturation of zero is completely greytone.
Brightness/Luminosity: Related to saturation, but about how bright the colour is. A brightness of zero is black.
- Flats: Single colours with no rendering. Done in advance of rendering to speed up the process (see the section on flatting) but can also be used stylistically in the final art.
- Rendering: Varying hue, saturation and brightness to add more detail to colours.
- Colour Hold: Changing black line art to a non black color. Often used for style but can also be used to show atmospheric perspective (more on that later).
Want a FREE comic?
Table of Contents
- It All Starts With An Idea
- Thought Dumping
- World Building
- Writing Scenes
- Breaking Scenes Down
- Choosing A Title
- Writer's Block
- Sorting Out Your Budget
- Writing A Solicitation
- Where To Find Your Team
- What Makes A Good Partner
- General Tips
- Standard Black vs Rich Black
- Choosing A Font
- Font Types
- When To Bold Text
- Sound Effects
- Getting Print Ready Files
- Offset vs Digital Printers
- Why Page Count Matters
- Book Formats And Binding Types
- How Many Copies To Print
- Tips For Saving Money
- Printer Comparison Table